Do you know the greatest and most important commandment of all in the word of God?
First, let us see if there is ranking among the scriptures, or not. The Word of God is understandable for all people (Proverbs 8:8), but only if we follow it step by step. Isaiah 28:10 written “(Pulpit Commentary).
However, the accumulation of the word has order and rank. All words in the Bible don’t have the same weight. That is why Lord Jesus says, “…the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith…” (Matthew 23:23). In Matthew 5:19 also he taught about value of “the least commandments.” In Heb. 6:1,2 we read about . All in all, our
current topic is the leading commandment in the entire Bible.
What makes the greatest commandment greater than any other commandment in the Bible?
1. The greatest important commandment is about God himself (Exodus 20:1-3)
2. It tells us about plainly about the identity of our God (Mark 12:32)
3. In the First place, it was written, declared and given by God himself (Exodus 24:12)
4. It is a commandment that is given to serve all generations (Deuteronomy 6:7)
5. It is the teaching of the Old Testament as well as the New Testament (Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and Mark 12:29-34)
6. It is the greatest because the LORD JESUS has declared it as the foremost commandment of All (Mark 12:29).
7. The Greatest of all the commandments is the governor of all other scriptures in the Bible (Galatians 3:20;)
What we should know about the greatest and most important of all the commandments:-
1. The Greatest important commandment is the first vital knowledge that we should receive concerning our Creator – who is the author of the Bible. Without knowing this true, even though we study the Bible or become believers, it will be fruitless effort.
2. The Greatest important commandment is the head of all the scriptures in the Holy Bible. As the head is the center of all command in the body of a human body, this commandment is the leading or the head of the rest of the word of God.
3. It will keep us form misinterpretation and confusion about the identity of God.
4. Any scripture should be understood or interpreted in harmony with the greatest important commandment in the Bible. All other teachings should agree with it.
Do you know the greatest and most important commandment?
The prophet Moses, in Deuteronomy 6:1, told the children of Israel that God commanded him to teach must obey commandment of God to them. When and where God gave these commandments to Moses and the children of Israel? It was in Exodus 20, on mount Horeb (Deuteronomy 4:9-14).
What was the command?
“I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the
children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.” (Exodus chapter 20, verses 2-6).
Then in Deuteronomy 6, as Moses was commanded to teach the Israelites on the same by expounding it as follow:-
Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.” (verses 4-9)
As they we taught the children of Israel tried to keep this wonderful commandment until the coming of the Lord Jesus. Even one of them asked him saying, “Master, which is the great commandment in the law?”
This is according to the Gospel of Matthew (22:36). And according to the Gospel of Mark “And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked
him, Which is the first commandment of all?” (12:28)
What was the Answer? According to Matthew, “Jesus said unto him, Thou halt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets” (22:37-40).
Let us also read the answer of the Lord according to Mark, which is more comprehensive than Matthew’s report says, “And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.” (12:29-33)
The first of all the commandments is “The Lord our God is one Lord and love him” The second is “love your neighbor as yourself.”
Without knowing God, who he is? How many he is?, no one can love him. How can you love whom you don’t know well. First realize that he is the “I am God” – but not the “we are God” – He is the only one true God – no one beside him. Then love this one God whom you have already known. By that you can say that you know the most important and the greatest commandment of all and endeavor to keep it in your life on this earth.